The Woodlands Paternity Lawyers

When children are born to unmarried parents, additional hurdles must be cleared before child support and child custody and visitation schedules can be ordered. Located in The Woodlands, Shriver & McLean, L.L.P., helps unmarried mothers and fathers throughout Southeast Texas establish legal paternity of their children so they can get the support and parenting time they are entitled to as parents.

Montgomery County Fathers’ Rights Attorneys — Protecting Fathers’ Rights

In Texas, a child born to an unwed mother has no legal father until paternity is established. There are two ways parents may establish legally paternity of a child born out of wedlock.

When parents agree on paternity, they can complete an acknowledgment of paternity form (AOP). Once an AOP is signed, the father’s name may be added to the child’s birth certificate and both parents will have legally enforceable rights to child support, custody and visitation. When one parent refuses to acknowledge paternity through the AOP form, a lawsuit must be filed in family court to determine paternity. Once a lawsuit has been filed, the court will order a DNA test to determine paternity of the child in question.

When married — or recently divorced — women have children, the law presumes her husband is the legal father of the child. However, there are circumstances where the husband is not the biological father and steps must be taken to negate this presumption. Husbands — or recent ex-husbands — can voluntarily sign a denial of paternity, or the mother or biological father can bring suit in family court to establish the true paternity of the child.

The lawyers at Shriver & McLean, L.L.P., have more than 42 combined years of experience practicing family law in Southeast Texas. Attorney Kent Shriver has been board certified in family law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, making him a specialist in his field. Together, we will help you establish, or deny, paternity, obtain the financial resources you are entitled to, or the custody and visitation time you need to develop strong bonds with your child.

Contact Shriver & McLean, L.L.P., For Help With Legal Paternity Disputes

If you are the parent of a child born outside of marriage, you need to establish legal paternity of your child before you are entitled to child support or visitation time. Contact The Woodlands paternity attorneys at Shriver & McLean, L.L.P., to schedule an initial consultation. Our attorneys also help parents negate presumptions of paternity and defend against paternity claims. Call our office today at 281-645-0117.

How Can We Help?

Offices located in The Woodlands, TX

Shriver & McLean, L.L.P.
10655 Six Pines Drive
Suite 220
The Woodlands, TX 77380

Phone: 281-645-0117
Fax: 281-296-8647
The Woodlands Office